VCA Certification Program FAQ's
DPS Exception to Credit Card Payment Restrictions
DPS/VIP has been given an exception by the Department of Accounts on using a P-Card to pay for training. With this exception, P-Cards can be used to pay for class registration.
"The purpose of the P-Card is to reduce administrative efforts and provide cost savings for the Commonwealth in general; therefore, given the description of the process and the effort (and money) that would be required for DPS/DGS to accept IAT’s given the volume of attendees, an exception is granted to the current SPCC Topic 20355, item IAT for State Classes & Services dated December 2004."
Directions to DPS: 1111 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA 23219 - 804 786-3842 (DPS Main)
Crowne Plaza - (804) 788-0900
Hampton Inn Downtown (804) 643-5400
Marriott Hotel - (804) 643-3400
Holiday Inn Express Downtown - (804) 788-1600
Hilton Garden Inn- (804) 344-4300
Omni Hotel - (804) 344-7000
The Berkley Hotel- (804) 648-4728
Public Parking is available at 7th & Marshall, 8th & Marshall and on 8th between East Grace St and Franklin. Public parking can cost from $12 – 15/per day.
DPS is located in the Patrick Henry building on the east-bound side of Broad Street between 11th & 12th Streets at 1111 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA 23219. Entrance is on the Capitol Square side of the building. The training room is located in the East Reading Room on the first floor.
Visitor or Handicap Parking:
Request for visitor/handicap parking will be accommodated on a space available basis. To be considered for this parking, the request must be submitted to the DGS Parking Services Office. Only DGS Parking Services Office may authorize parking for the Patrick Henry Building. Contact ParkingServices@dgs.virginia.gov or 804.786.5675.
DPS does not provide lunch with your class. There are lunch carts and restaurants close by that offer a wide variety of options to fit every lunch budget or you may bring your own lunch and use our refrigerator.
• Merriwether's: in the Capitol Building
• Padow's: 1st Floor City Hall – 9th & Broad St
• Cafe on the 1st floor in the State Library, 8th & Broad St
• Garden Café: 12th Street across from MCV Ambulatory Bldg.
• Chick-Fil-A & Subway: Inside MCV Marshall St 1st floor
• Wendy's: Inside MCV at street level
• Einstein's Bagels: Inside MCV at street level
• Lunch Carts In front of MCV
Classes will not be held when state offices are closed for bad weather. We will reschedule your class, or transfer your registration to another available date. Classes will start 2 hours late on "Late Opening" days, otherwise classes are from 8:30 -4:30 Check the DHRM website for updates on inclement weather days. http://www.dhrm.virginia.gov/
What to Expect
Courses start promptly at 8:30 am. Breaks are given mid-morning & afternoon. Lunch is one hour. Breaks are 5 minutes per every 2 hours. Attire is business casual. A picture ID is required to enter the building.
To be eligible to register for the Virginia Contracting Associate (VCA) you must:
1. Complete the application and with a copy of your Employee Work Profile or Job
Description email email@example.com or FAX to: (804) 371-8937.
2. Receive an approval e-mail from VIP that you have met the criteria to pursue the designated certification program.
3. Incomplete or unreadable applications will not be processed. Allow four to six weeks for processing your application. An application
approval is valid for one year. After one year a new application must be processed.
1. Complete both pages of this application and attach copies of your verification documentation -- scan and e-mail to
firstname.lastname@example.org or FAX: (804) 371-8937
2. Receive an approval e-mail from VIP that you have met the criteria for your recertification, go online and pay for the recertification
3. Incomplete or unreadable applications will not be processed. Allow four to six
weeks for processing your application.
VCA Re-instatement is for any person whose VCA has expired up to 5 years. (after 5 years you must go through the VCA program again)
To become re-instated for the Virginia Contracting Associate (VCA) Certification Program you must:
1. Complete the Re-instatement application from the forms page and email or FAX to VIP email@example.com or fax #
2. Receive an approval e-mail from VIP stating that you have met the criteria to pursue the re-examination on the available dates
within the email.
3. Purchase the Re-instatements online via the email link – VCA re-instatement is $100.00.
Note: Incomplete or unreadable applications will not be processed. Allow four to six weeks for processing your application.
Cancellation and Substitution Policy
Cancellation – A refund will be issued if notice of cancellation is received in WRITING at least 21 calendar days prior to the date of the release of online materials for your registered class session. A $25 administrative fee will be deducted from the refund. Submit refund requests to firstname.lastname@example.org Provide the following information: Name, job title, agency, address, phone #, email address, date, name of class.
No refunds will be issued on notifications received less than 21 days prior to a the date of the release of online materials for your registered class session.
If I can’t get a refund, can I send a substitute?
You may send a substitute provided the substitute meets the program eligibility requirements, if applicable. For VCA Program, only substitutes who are pre-approved for the program may attend.
You must notify us in WRITING at least 21 calendar days prior to the date of the release of online materials for your registered class session. All approved substitutions must be submitted 21 calendar days prior to the date of the release of online materials for your registered class session. Submit substitution requests to email@example.com
Provide the following information for person withdrawing as well as the person substituting: Name, job title, agency, address, phone #, email address, date, name & session of class.
There is a $25 administrative fee for substitutions.
The exam must be paid for before attending on exam day. VCA exams begin promptly at either 8:30 am, 10:45 am, or 1:30 am.
VCA Exam Retakes
If you do not pass, you are able to register for a VCA Retake Exam. The fee is $50. A new application is not required.